New Employees

Select your status:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Go to the New Employee Orientation website during your first week of employment and follow the directions to complete your orientation. The orientation provides important information on UW policies including:

  • How to get a UW ID card (Husky Card)
  • How to obtain benefits information
  • Key UW policies that all employees need to know before starting their jobs

Step 4

Create your UW NetID. This becomes your @u email address.
 Note: this can be done only after the JISAO payroll department has entered you into the Online Payroll Update System (OPUS).


MyUW: With the UW NetID employees can access their MyUW webpage with information and links to UW Administrative sites, Human Resources, Benefits, and other campus departments and services.

Employee Self-Service: A secure link through MyUW with personal employee information on earnings, taxes, insurance benefits, W4 updates, retirement, and annual and sick leave accrual balances. Employees are encouraged to set up direct deposit of their paycheck through ESS and are required to update their contact information at this site.

Timesheets: At the end of each month, please send a photocopy of your timesheet (signed by you and your UW supervisor) to Joe Greer. Monthly timesheets (and instructions) are available through the JISAO administrative website.

Leave Policy: All professional-level staff may use annual and sick leave after completing one month of service. Classified staff may use sick leave after one month of service and annual leave after six months. Personal Holiday (one day of leave) is available to all staff after 4 months of service

Leave Requests: University of Washington rules require that employees notify their administrative supervisors when they plan to take annual leave. For further information go here.

Travel Guidelines: Before traveling, check out JISAO's Travel information and send requests to Collen Marquist. Collen will make the travel arrangements and fill out the Travel Expense Voucher form (TEV) for your reimbursement. For general travel information go to Travel at the UW.

Research Cruises Pay: A cruise documentation form must be properly filled out, signed, and submitted with your timesheet in order to request cruise pay. More information about the JISAO Cruise Policy and for JISAO Cruise Documentation Forms.

Purchasing Guidelines: For general information, go to JISAO's Purchasing information. Please fill out a request form and mail or fax it to Collen Marquist. You will need the budget number and PI's signature on the form before purchases can be made.

JISAO Publication Policy: All papers funded, or partially funded, by JISAO must have a contribution number and include an acknowledgment upon publication.

For more information, contact pertinent staff from JISAO Administration Directory.